FIELDS OF EDUCATION,
CAREER OPTIONS AND PROSPECTUS
What a Journalist Do ?
There are so many different jobs in journalism that it's almost impossible to
list them all here. To give you an idea, these are some of the things that a
journalist might be involved with:
- Researching stories : Broadcasting companies often employ people
whose job is just to research stories and guests. All writers have to research
before they can start writing.
- Writing news and feature stories : News stories are short and focus
on telling you what's just happened – the most important thing first. Feature
stories often need a topical 'peg' (or reason) for publication, but they're
more in-depth and less rigidly structured. They might be interviews, travel
reports, how-to articles or opinion columns.
- Take photographs : Multiskilling is becoming more and more a part
of life in media, so photography is a useful skill for all writers to have.
But some people work as photojournalists and use their pictures to tell the
story with very few words.
- Edit stories : Subeditors concentrate on editing other people's
work – they correct any grammar mistakes, sometimes write the headlines and
make sure the publication has a consistent style. In many places subeditors
are an endangered species and journalists are increasingly expected to get it
right first time because there's no safety net.
- Check facts : Legend tells of a time when people were employed just
to check the facts in submitted articles. That's rarely seen nowadays.
- Plan magazines : Editors are responsible for all the content in a
magazine. As you move up the publishing hierarchy, you'll do less actual
writing and more planning and management of other writers, subeditors and
- Lay out pages : In smaller publishing companies, journalists might
be expected to lay out pages as well as write them. For a long time, the
standard application for layout was Quark XPress. Now Adobe InDesign is
gaining in popularity. It's a valuable skill to be able to edit documents in
CAREER HOME PAGE
Careers & Jobs
| Horoscope |
| Yoga |
Destination India |
India Virtual Tour
| Kids Corner
Names | Jokes |
Indian Universities & Colleges |
| News |World
Guide | World Time
|Currency Convertor |
About us |
Copyright (c) 2000-11
hindustanlink.com. All rights
Powered by Web-link