Here are some proven home remedies for sore throat:
- Just like mom used to say, gargle with salt water (½ tsp. mixed with 4 oz warm water) every few hours or as needed.
- Mix a cup of warm water, 2 tsp. honey and the juice of one lemon (or several teaspoons) and sip
- Mixing white vinegar, water, salt and crushed vitamin C together, gargle
- Others swear by gargling with chili pepper (yes, chili pepper!) Capsaicin, the ingredient in chili pepper that makes them hot, also numbs the throat. Mix ½ tsp. dried chili or cayenne pepper in a few ounces of water and gargle.
- Remember to drink plenty of liquids. Orange juice and other acidic juices may irritate a sore throat, so be careful.