Addiction is a complex mix of physical and psychological causes, but for many people, alcohol is a form of self-medication, related to low levels of brain chemicals, such as serotonin, dopamine and noradrenalin. Alcohol is the oldest intoxicant and addictive, in use for over 10,000 years. Alcohol directly damages the liver, esophagus, stomach, intestines and colon, and greatly increases the risk of various cancers. It is a special risk to pregnant woman, who should avoid it completely, since irreversible fetal alcohol syndrome can occur at low doses. Alcohol is also involved with an estimated 60% of all violent crimes. Despite these negatives, only 20% of alcoholics can stop successfully.
Herbal medicines offer a valuable resource for the effects of, and addiction to, alcohol. Initially, there are herbs to detoxify and lessen cravings, while reducing the symptoms of withdrawal. Acorn tincture (Quercus glandis) or angelica can be used in all cases to create a powerful aversion to alcohol. Other plant medicines help repair the damage done, including liver herbs like milk thistle. Adaptogenic and tonic herbs can correct biochemical and neurological imbalances that contribute to drinking, by doing such things such as increasing the manufacture of neurotransmitters like serotonin.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 1: Acorn***—Quercus robur glandium
• Diminishes alcoholic craving, antidotes its effects, such as enlarged spleen and liver. Diarrhea may appear during treatment as a curative effect.
• Available as a homeopathic liquid under the name Ouercus glandis.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 2: Angelica**—Angelica atropurpurea
• Reduces craving or creates dislike for alcohol; use 5 drops, 3 times daily.
• A warming circulatory tonic that relieves gas, bloating, colic, headache.
• Helps with enlarged spleen; anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 3: Calanatts*—Acorus calamus
• Reduces the craving for alcohol; restorative for brain, nervous system.
• Relieves gas, cramps, distention. Improves appetite, helps exhaustion.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 4: Cayenne***—Capsicum frutescens
• Helps stop morning vomiting and gnawing stomach, reduces intense cravings for alcohol and promotes appetite; use in single drop doses.
• Reduces irritability, anxiety and tremor and induces calm sleep.
• Delirium tremens, chills, exhaustion can often be speedily relieved.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 5: Celandine***—Chelidonium majus
• Specific for liver problems from alcohol; extreme sensitivity to, and bad
effects from, drinking. Liver healer and detoxifier, even for cirrhosis.
• Calms emotions (i.e. anger, depression) during withdrawal or cravings.
• For general sluggishness, difficulty concentrating and mental dullness.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 6: Hops**—Humulus lupulus
• Sedative that relieves anxiety-related withdrawal symptoms; aids DTs.
• Helps irritability and restlessness, promotes healthy digestion.
• Relieves insomnia, frequent wakings; not suitable during depression.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 7: Khella**—Ammi visnaga
• Ayurvedic herb that alleviates the acute and chronic effects of alcohol.
• Powerful antispasmodic and pain remedy. Used for asthma, angina.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 8: Kudzu***—Pueraria lobata
• Traditional use in China to sober a drunk person and for various side
effects of alcohol (hangover, thirst, gastric bleeding, loss of appetite).
• Recent research shows it can dramatically reduce craving for alcohol.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 9: Milk Thistle**—Silybum marianum
• Protects against damage to the liver by alcohol, drugs and toxins.
• Powerfully regenerates damaged liver tissue; essential for cirrhosis.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 10: Oats***—Avena sativa
• Excellent for weaning off alcohol, drugs, opiates, narcotics. Invigorating without intoxication or overstimulation. Improves clarity, focus.
• Restores proper nerve functioning; eases a racing heart or palpitations.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 11: Passionflower*—Passiflora incarnata
• Treats insomnia, delirium tremens or spasms related to withdrawal.
• Useful to induce restful sleep without producing hangover effects.
• Combines well with kava, skullcap, valerian, hops or Jamaican dogwood.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 12: Quassia*—Picrasma/Quassia excelsa
• Antidotes effects of alcohol, rejuvenates the spleen. A bitter that stimulates appetite and digestive function; tonifies a weak digestive system.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 13: Schisandra**—Schisandra chinensis
• Controls anger and aggression without sedation; combats depression.
• A liver tonic for hepatitis and an adaptogen that assists the body in bal-
ancing stress; effective for nervous exhaustion, weakness, insomnia.
Home remedies for Alcohol Detox 14: Wild Lettuce*—Lactuca virosa
• Produces a general sense of well-being, calms excitability, relieves pain.
• Mild sedative and cure for insomnia; safe for both young and old.