30s are supposed to be that time of your life when you’re in complete control over your relationships, you’re on track when it comes to work, have a sizable bank balance and are attune to a truly happy and enjoyable life. But then life plays a cruel joke and throws a real beauty bouncer. In simpler words, 30 is often the age when you start to see your skin, body and looks change. And in some cases this change is not for the better, unless you start being extra cautious.
Skin Troubles in your 30s:
Those first deep wrinkles begin to emerge, turning faint lines around the eyes into full blown crow’s feet (also known as laugh lines or character lines). In some unfortunate cases, acne decide to make a comeback after teen years or it may also appear for the very first time. This phenomenon is called ‘adult acne’ and is usually hormonal in women.
How to look fabulous in your 30s:
To stay gorgeous through your 30s and after, follow these 8 simple steps:
1. Cleansing - Cleanse your skin each morning and make sure to remove all makeup and cleanse again before bedtime. This allows the skin to perform its essential protective and renewal functions well. Always use products suggested by your dermatologist as there are many products available in the market and picking the right can be confusing.
2. Exfoliate - Exfoliate at night rather than in the day. Overnight skin is in renewal mode and removing dead skin skin prior to bedtime enhances the skin’s function. Exfoliate gently, just to remove dead skin and if your skin is oily or you’ve got acne then exfoliating twice a week should be sufficient.
3. Protect - Protect your skin during the day by combining an antioxidant serum or Vitamin C serum with sun screen as they enhance each other. Be sure to apply the sunscreen first.
4. Stay hydrated - Make sure that the skin is not dehydrated. Don’t spend more than 5 minutes in the shower and use lukewarm water. Use a moisturizing body wash as acts as a protective moisture barrier for the skin.
Here’s a golden nugget of advice for working professionals: Add 4-5 drops of essential body oils or if nothing then almond oil/vitamin e oil/sesame oil in 2 mugs of water and splash it on the body to form a moisturizing coat.
5. Sunscreen - Wear a sunscreen with broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection every single day of the year, including raining days and on overcast winter days. UVA rays are “slow agers” which remain constant throughout the year.
6. Moisturize - Rub in rich intense moisturizing body lotion or apricot oil daily after bathing on slightly damp body for a healthy, hydrated skin.
7. Drink water - Drink plenty of Water to also stay hydrated internally. Add lemon or lime juice for an extra boost. Eat a healthy and high-fiber diet and workout for atleast 15-20 daily.
8. Stay stress free - Of course that’s easier said than done but indulging in a hobby of ones choice works wonders for the skin.