Treatment of Low Blood Pressure, Hypotension
Low blood pressure in healthy subjects without symptoms or organ damage needs no treatment. All patients with symptoms possibly due to low blood pressure should be evaluated by a doctor. The doctor needs to identify the cause of the low blood pressure since treatment will depend on the cause.
• Dehydration is treated with fluids and minerals (electrolytes). Mild dehydration without nausea and vomiting can be treated with oral fluids and electrolytes. Moderate to severe dehydration usually is treated with intravenous fluids and electrolytes.
• Blood loss can be treated with intravenous fluids and blood transfusions. If bleeding is continuing, it needs to be treated as well.
• Septicemia is treated with intravenous fluids and antibiotics or other medicines.
• Blood pressure medications or diuretics are adjusted, changed, or stopped by the doctor if they are causing low blood pressure symptoms.
• Bradycardia may be due to a medication. The doctor may reduce, change or stop the medication. Bradycardia due to sick sinus syndrome or heart block is treated with an implantable pacemaker.
• Tachycardia is treated depending on the nature of the tachycardia. Atrial fibrillation can be treated with oral medications, electrical cardioversion, or a catheterization procedure called pulmonary vein isolation. Ventricular tachycardia can be controlled with medications or with an implantable defibrillator.
• Pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis is treated with blood thinners, intravenous heparin initially and oral warfarin later.
• Pericardial fluid can be removed by a procedure called pericardiocentesis.
• Postural hypotension can be treated by increasing water and salt intake, using compression stockings to compress the leg veins and reduce the pooling of blood in the veins. Increasing salt intake can lead to heart failure in patients with existing heart disease and should not be undertaken without consulting a doctor.
Homeopathic Medicines for Hypotension, Low Blood Pressure
Homeopathy can not just give symptomatic relief in cases of hypotension but can also address many root causes of low blood pressure like Bradychardia, Tachycardia, Pericarditis, Schock, Speticiemia, Vasovagal attack, inflammation etc.
The most commonly indicated homeopathic medicines in low blood pressure are:
Carbo-veg, Phos, Sepia, Thyroidinum, Baryta-mur, Aconite, Aranea, Cactus, Curare, Gelsemium, Halo, Histamine, Lachesis, Lyco, Naja, Rauwolfia, Reserprine, Visc., Radium, Theridion, Oleander, Laurocrasis, Acid flour, Adrenalin, Ars alb, Aurum mur, Bartya carb, Bryonia, Crataegus China, Conium, Ferrum met, lycopus, Nat mur, Pulsatilla.